Everyone working in the US has a number of taxes deducted from their earnings every time they get paid. While working in America you will have paid up to four different types of tax on your earnings:
- Federal Tax
- State Tax
- Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) Tax
- Local Tax
The amount of taxes you pay is calculated based on your when can you file taxes yearly income. Most people who work temporarily in the United States, for example on a J1 Visa, end up overpaying these taxes because they have more than one job or they only work for a few months in America.
The good news is you can get a refund of this overpaid tax. However, US tax returns can be very complicated and many people are looking for accountants or companies to help them file their USA returns.
Please be aware of companies that promise to speed up your tax refund by electronically filing (e-filing) your US tax return. Using e-filing is illegal for any US non-residents including J1 Visa students and you could face difficulties with future visa applications to the US if your tax return is not filed correctly.
When choosing a tax return company, we recommend that you select companies which:
- Have a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) in the United States
- Can guarantee that your tax refund will be 100% legal and safe
- Can ensure your US tax return will be 100% compliant with US tax law.
- Provide a US tax rebate service in your language (E.g. Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Chinese, …)